Penn Wood Primary and Nursery School in Slough is a large, culturally diverse school. 85% of children have English as an Additional Language and mobility is high. The school benefits from buildings and grounds that have been purposefully designed to support learning for children and adults alike.
Talk for Writing principles and practice are now firmly embedded across the school and have impacted positively upon standards in reading and writing, leadership practice across a range of areas and the development of an approach to CPD with research at its heart. The achievement gap between children entitled to pupil premium and other children nationally is closing and Talk for Writing, with its emphasis on feedback, collaboration and meta-cognition, has been key to this improvement. Pie has been pivotal in our school improvement work for five years or more and the school took part in the ‘Transforming Writing’ Research Project with the National Literacy Trust.
Based upon specific requirements, Penn Wood can tailor training packages or visits using the repertoire of themes below that reflect the essential ingredients of Talk for Writing to inform discussion:
- Immersion, Innovation and Invention
- Storytelling and the use of a Literature Spine
- Reading as a reader; reading as a writer
- Embedding language games and activities
- Developing Toolkits for Writing
- Effective Feedback – feeding back and feeding forward
- Whole school planning for Talk for Writing including the allocation of texts and language features across the school
- Mini-writing lessons; guided writing
- Supporting the development of writing with images, objects, music and thinking maps
- Creating the Environment for Talk for Writing including celebrating writing
- Non-Fiction writing
- Leadership of Talk for Writing
- Developing an approach to CPD for Talk for Writing including coaching
School visits can include observing lessons and the environment for writing, looking at children’s work, talking with children, teachers and school leaders and training in the ‘hub’. In addition, we have and use all of Pie’s published resources.
We will be offering full-day training on the following dates:
Wednesday 11th July 2018 – Talk for Writing with a KS2 focus
Wednesday 10th October 2018 – Talk for Writing in EYFS and KS1
Wednesday 14th November 2018 – Talk for Writing in KS2
Training day at Penn Wood – £150 per person for a full day, including lunch (we don’t really host half days at the moment)
PWP visit to Penn Wood – £120 per person for a full day, including lunch. Minimum of 15 delegates per visit.
One day’s training in another location (up to 50 delegates; two trainers) – £1800; £30 per extra delegate beyond 50.
For all training enquiries contact email@example.com